Giving Back to the Community You Love
Community service is a critical element of our beliefs and is embodied in our commitment to worship God by “living a life of loving service.” We firmly believe that the purpose of life is not to live for ourselves alone, but to live in love for each other as our Lord has done for us. We follow the biblical mandate to pay special attention to those who are on the margins of life—those who are poor or oppressed, those who are victims of injustice, those who are sick, those who are trapped in the prison of doubt.
Community service activities:
- Mission Team Food Drive (on the first Sunday of every month) - Canned food donations to the Westside Food Bank.
- First Fruits (year round) - Mission Team volunteers can harvest your backyard fruits and veggies. You may prefer to drop them off at the Church. Your nutritious donations go to various Church programs and surplus may go to the Westside Food Bank.
- Have a Heart for the Homeless:
- Make-a-Wich (in January) - sack lunch for the homeless
- Cookies Drop Off on Share the Love Sunday (in February) - Backpacks filled with goodies for children living in foster care.
- Solemates (in October) - New shoes are donated and money is collected to help Head Start children, so they can attend school.
- Toys for La Casa (in December) - Holiday Toy Drive for children who live in the Pasadena area.
As an introduction to our newer members, Brett is a missionary whose work in the Balkans was cut short when medical issues required him to return to the states. First Pres. assisted Brent through this challenging time and now he is back in action. Here is a portion of his report from this summer. You can read his complete letter, which includes a fascinating account of his trip through nice countries in between his service at the camps, by going to the website and find the Mission team link:
More events will be added or changed throughout the year. To be "in the know," subscribe to our newsletter, the Window, by contacting Michelle Jones. If you would like to get involved, please contact Dr. Wood at bill [at] fpcsantamonica [dot] org.